According to the Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness:
- Approximately 9,800 Virginians experience homelessness on any given night.
- 12.93 percent of Virginians pay more than 50% of their income on housing, putting many at risk of homelessness.
- Although they only account for 11% of the American population, veterans make up a disproportionate share (26%) of people experiencing homelessness.
- It is estimated that 21,000 Virginians will experience homelessness in the next two years due to the recession if we do not intervene.
For many of us, homelessness represents an incredible service opportunity. Because 43% of those experiencing homelessness in Virginia are in families, often with young children, the homelessness problem becomes an education problem. So I’m proud to be counted among the TeachersBox clients who are taking affirmative steps to arrest this issue in our communities, one child at a time.”
- Kayla Cole, Summit Christian Academy Student and Hope for the Homeless Coordinator.
- Are you a junior or senior who really wants to make a lasting impact on the community before you graduate?
- Would you like to involve your civic or church youth group in a meaningful, memorable service opportunity?
- Would you like to attend three free SAT Prep sessions with an academic coach whose helped students gain acceptance to some of the finest universities in Virginia and the nation?
Then complete the enclosed application to participate in the “Hope for the Homeless Campaign.” Join student leaders from public and private schools throughout Hampton Roads who’ll sleep outside for two nights to raise funds to buy HopePaks™ filled with underclothes and toiletries such as soap, deodorant, toothpaste, and toothbrushes. We’re collaborating with civic organizations in Williamsburg, Hampton, Newport News, Portsmouth, Norfolk, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach to provide hot meals and laundry service to the homeless this winter. And we’re asking corporate partners to sponsor resume and job training seminars to prepare the homeless for employment.
If you’re interested in making a real difference for Virginia’s homeless, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://teachersbox.com/tour/sponsors to make a donation.